walking….talking…. and not listening!

I live in a household with my husband, daughter, my black lab, and golden retriever. They all love me but they certainly don’t listen to me! Maybe I missed the memo that informed me that the words NO, DON’T, STOP, mean something different to these four creatures.I spend 90% of my day saying No, Stop, Don’t do that, Eh Eh! and then the other 10% is repeating those words! I think the most infuriating one is my husband; I mean he is an adult, right?!?! How can I expect the dogs and child to listen when he doesn’t! I know I’m not the only wife and mother who has felt that way so that thought helps!!

My daughter is now 17 months old and I am simply astonished at how fast she picks things up and makes associations with things. Her and I spend basically all day talking, singing, dancing, learning. It is so much fun to see her enjoy learning new things. To her I don’t think she realizes that is what we are even doing. I try to make it fun (usually at my own expense… I’m so glad no one can see or hear me throughout the day making up dances and songs). She has 37 words in her vocabulary, she knows 6 shapes, she can identify 6 shapes, and knows 14 animal sounds.

She is becoming so much more independent or so she thinks she is. I would love to let her walk around but she hasn’t quite grasped the concept of ‘walk this way’ or ‘come here’. Therefore it is easier for me to carry her to the car or to her bedroom, etc. My lovely husband hasn’t figured this out and lets her walk, then when it’s time to pick her up and actually go where we were originally headed she throws a fit…. then guess who gets her… MOI! I know she has to learn by doing and I’m fine with that but I tend to pick better times to allow her to ‘learn’… for example when its not meal time or when we need to go somewhere. She’s feisty and I think we are going to be in trouble with that as she gets older! She is however, for the most part a happy baby and has been really good when we are out in public, which I’m so thankful for. I know it probably won’t last but…. fingers crossed. Every day with her is still the best day I’ve ever had! With each new chapter her and I encounter we will just embrace it and find joy in it…. living in the moment!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s